Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Journey to Olde England


The England I Had in Mind
Flower carts, high tea, antique book shoppes, thatched roofs, and James Herriot

                                                 The England I Landed In
It was not the England I had envisioned -nor was it the birth 'day' setting I could have ever created, but none-the-less, here I was ...completely unaware as to 'where' I was.  I stood for a long moment, taking it all in.  The unsuspecting traveller, while able to wash down their burgers, scones, fish & chips, and ice cream with an expresso or latte, can also find an Alchemy shoppe just to their left, right next to The Black Rose drinking establishment -AND according to the brick wall, as a bonus, one can also find Karma in that same direction.  Such a find!  If however, drinking, alchemy and karma are not to your liking, you can always ask the 25 ft. gender-specific, Star Wars guards to your right, what they enjoy doing for fun on a Saturday afternoon ...that is, unless the God-like alien above them isn't too deep into mind control.  If this all seems a little too surreal to take in, no worries, you can always find repose over at "little Japan" (to your right), or, back up just a few steps to the cafe on your left, sit for a spell, and clear your mind with the help of a good water pipe.  

The beauty of it all is that British Security is right there at your fingertips -just to the left of CP3O's knee and to the right of the ice cream cone.  Happy birthday to me!

The England I sought, while making the journey for the sole purpose of keeping my visa status legal in Sweden, I found 90 miles to the Northwest, and had to pay 20 GBP to see.

The Victorian Bakery ~which included several pieces of shortbread at half the admission price!


Some unusual games of chance ~ just think, all it takes is 1 ball to win ...it must truly be a game of skill!  I've known players in this day and age with many balls who had no skill what-so-ever!

                                     The diffused light and the smell of leather


I spent 2 days getting to know the British better -they are quite a lively group.  When I did finally tire of strolling through the villages, I managed to find some lovely paths to explore down by the River Severn.
                        With fruit right off the vine and still warm from the sun ...

                                  and surrounded by the colors of autumn ...

                                                  I sat down on the rocks,

                                  and cooled my weary feet in the River Severn.

(note: Unfortunately, after giving my feet a good soak, I chose to explore the area a little further upstream.  Following the water's edge, I turned a corner and came face-to-face with a nuclear power plant -yep, right on the shores of the River Severn.  My jogging has improved immensely)!

                                                    Lessons learned:
Look for dead fish before you soak your feet in just any ol' river,
&
How to catch a man in Shrewsbury
                               Some lessons in this blog are better than others!



No comments:

Post a Comment