Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Migration of the Birds

Photo courtesy of The Cottage House

Perhaps they sense the sun's fading light, or a certain stillness that has enveloped their world -or perhaps it simply is an age-old restlessness that compels them to take flight.  Whatever it is, I'm always captivated by the sound of geese calling cohesively to their small flock as they wing their way south.  

For humans, however, the migration is different.  We often head towards unknown destinations, with no one in particular to follow, no flight-buddy who will drop out with us should we tire, no one to take the lead and block the wind, and certainly there is no cohesive 'honking' -unless, of course, your journey is by car.  Our motivation to relocate is also somewhat unique to our species as well -our boss needs us "over there," we're tired of shoveling snow, we want to be closer to our families (or further away in some sad cases), or others simply need a change of scenery.

My cause for flight is similar to the birds in that I need to eat, and I need to survive.  Unlike the birds however, my survival depends upon generating income -a thoroughly mind-boggling understanding that we are the only species on this planet who has to pay for the right to live here!

Anyway, after having spent 6 wonderful weeks learning lessons from the North American Black Bears last summer, I now am heading into the blue -literally.
Photo courtesy of Sea Life Park, Hawai'i
I have had only a few brief weeks of working with marine mammals in Denmark, and while the Grey Seals and Harbor Seals were highly entertaining, my new professor (below) and others like him, relish in the practice of 'training the trainers.'  I believe this may be why they always appear to be smiling!
The Professor

So, for a brief 5 months, I will be migrating south with the birds, leaving the x-country skis sitting idly by the door, and the birch wood fires warming only those I leave behind.  I will study Atlantic bottle nose dolphin and whale behavior, as well as learn about the care-taking routines and training practices for these graceful and spirited creatures.  I will come home each day to warm breezes, the sound of the ocean waves, and evening meals consisting of fresh tropical fruit, rice, and if I'm lucky, maybe a frozen fish or two from the morning's training session!

'Home' -for the next 5 months
Kailua Beach, Hawai'i

Lesson Learned:

Be it the silent snowfalls of Sweden
or the white, sandy beaches of Hawai'i, 
home lies within.




No comments:

Post a Comment