Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Oh, for the Love of Pigs!


Old friends, "Bruno and Gunnar"
 
As a trainer, I've got to say -pigs are easy!  They'll eat practically anything, they're quick to catch on, they're always glad to see you, and they'll train until the sun goes down!  
The first time I attempted to train pigs, I found a lively pair of mini-pigs at it the local 4H Club just north of Stockholm.  At the time, Bruno and Gunnar were still quite small, but even as piglets, they  enchanted every child who  ventured into the 'gris-huset' (pig house), and I have to admit, they quickly worked their magic on me as well.


Gunnar and Bruno, in their youth
 But it wasn't just their learning speed, or their good looks that sold me on pigs -it was their endearing personalities and joyful outlook on life that kept me cycling up to the gris huset in Sweden's snowiest winter since 1980.  Upon entering their stall, there was no shortage of enthusiasm -they ran in every direction ...turning circles, bumping into walls -there was extreme snorting and squeeling, and their curly tails looked like helicopter propellers trying to take off with 80lbs of pork!

Yes, for Gunnar and Bruno, training was a game -and there were no losers. 

Gunnar getting a belly-rub.  Note the smile!

By the end of week 4, Gunnar had learned how to spin, back up, do a figure 8, nose-target a bucket 8 feet away, do duration 'stays', weave between my legs as I walked, ring a bell by using his mouth to pull down on a little string, jump, heel, and push a ball.  The only behavior that we couldn't get was the retrieve.

I sent out an "any ideas?" email to a trainer's support group, and 2 days later, I received a response from Karen Pryor -the woman who is largely responsible for so many of the positive changes happening in the training world today.  What a gift.

Rather than train the retrieve as you would for a dog, she reminded me to alter the task to suit the animal's natural behaviors.  She suggested that I train Gunnar to use his nose, rather than his mouth, to bring back a retrieve object.  Working with the nose is more natural for a pig. 

So, Gunnar and I set off to work on balancing a basket handle on his nose. It didn't take long at all.  I used cheese and juicy pears for reinforcers - delivering them into the basket right after he heard the click.  As he gradually learned to bring the basket over to me for the cheese and pear slices, I set the basket further and further away from me -and the rest is history.  A retrieve, taking the shape of a basket-carrying, little pot-bellied pig.  Thank you Karen.

Lessons learned: 
Ask for help when you need it  -and don't forget to think outside the box!


 








No comments:

Post a Comment