Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Enrichment with "Lagom"




A Midsommar Night's Dream - 'lagom' light


'Lagom' the definition: (good luck to anyone who's not Swedish!)


 'just enough' - 'just right' - 'comfortably acceptable' ...and many other precisely vague declarations for 'okay!'



Living in Sweden has taught me a great deal about myself -but I have to say, this concept of "Lagom" over here still challenges my thinking, and on more than one occasion, has caused me to break out in a cold sweat.  Upon hearing the simplest utterance of this word, all translation comes to a halt, and an assessment of all my worldly perspectives, core values, and inner stabilizers ensues.  It's immediate, it's automatic, and it's as annoying as a Microsoft update!

For a long time, I typically  employed 'the short-cut approach'  -each time the word was used, I filled in with a "whatever!."  This temporarily seemed to improve the flow of conversation,  but it did very little for my level of understanding, so today, I'm going to experiment.  I will  attempt to place the word into some specific contexts.  

(Above) Only if you like to drink seawater

'Lagom' salt
                                                           
Never Again!!!


Lagom' fun for me!


  













'Lagom' Enrichment
'
Enrichment way past 'lagom!'
Lesson learned:  'Lagom' is in the eye of the beholder.
                                                                                                   carol

No comments:

Post a Comment