Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Meet "The Fockers"

Yes, how I wish I could change just one small vowel in this blog's title without influencing my reader's perceptions ~ but I've decided instead to let my co-workers' images speak for themselves.


Meet Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod ~ and if 3 is not enough, add a 4th, "Tail-    Up-Straight" 
(disclaimer: all names have been changed to protect the innocent)


Winkin's 'good morning' face 
   
The alarm goes off at 05:30 every morning ~my roommate's, that is.  It really has no effect what-so-ever on my R.E.M. cycle anyway, as the Swedish mid-summer sun has long ago beckoned the exotic birds in the park nearby to rise and  participate whole-heartedly in their lengthy and very VOCAL mating rituals!

I rise, surrendering to the feathered ruckus outside and to the smell of burnt toast coming from the kitchen.  The warmth from my army mattress will soon be just another memory in this newly acquired ritual that I must concede now defines "my life."  I get up rather slowly these days.  The knees are already anticipating another day in the trenches, and as I make my grand exodus out from behind my bedroom curtain, I note that it's snowing outside.  I curse Sweden's weather pattern, the Swedish meteorologists, my Swedish summer clothes, my Swedish umbrella, and the entire month of May as I make my way into the park towards the wildcat enclosures.

The European Wildcat is a wonderful little species whose numbers are drastically dwindling.  Typically, they all have similar markings, and without a shred of doubt -they prefer to live alone!  I'm well into my second week with the cats, and so far I seem to be the only one adhering to any kind of manners.  Given this somewhat bumpy beginning, I've abandoned some rather over-enthusiastic goals and have given a great deal of time and thought to re-inventing the wheel, so to speak.

As a clicker-trainer, I've decided to temporarily abandoned the device -not because of choice really, but it's more a matter of having to record a 3-week observation period, and any kind of training would most definitely alter the baseline behavior.   I also must admit, that I need this time in many ways to get to know the little critters better anyway. 

I take up my position in the forest behind their enclosures, from where I will do my four-hour-per-day ethology observation.  For those of you who have never participated in an observation with such a scientific title, it's nothing more than simply watching behaviors.  You can practise on your loved ones tonight, if you want ...I'll send you the forms.



Blinkin's 'good morning' face
  
I place my insulated seating pad down on a wet granite rock, get out my notepad and pen, and prop up my umbrella.  I say a warm greeting to my friends (note: a typical response can be viewed to the above), and then I start  the clock.  I look at each cat for 10 minutes, carefully  recording (per minute) the behaviors I see.  After the 10-minute beep sounds, I shift my weight to a more comfortable  position on the rock, and change my focus to another cat.  This process of observing, recording, beeping, and shifting my weight will continue for 3 weeks.  The snow, hopefully will not.



Nod, my personal favorite, ignoring Tail-Up-Straight ...and me!
 
If I look back on my first week here, I must admit that I am making progress.  On days one and two, my presense seemed to disturb the cats greatly -there was a good  deal of running about  enclosure #2 (where the 3 fertile male cats all live together), lots of glaring down from their perches, and a "do not enter zone" of about 15 feet from were I sat.  In enclosure #1, where Tail-Up-Straight (a neutered male) lives alone, there was no activity what-so-ever...just a wide-eyed, crouching animal who preferred to stay hidden underneath his favorite pine tree.

As of today, almost 2 weeks into the observation, the 3 cats in enclosure #2 approach me on a regular basis.  Mind you, they take care to ignore me at all costs, but they are curious and they seem to have accepted my presence as something they must tolerate.  Tail-Up-Straight will come out from underneath his pine tree now, but only very cautiously, and only to visit his friends through the fence that separates the cats' enclosures.  If I had wanted a true baseline behavior, I should have placed myself behind some large bush in the forest, so habituation would not have been in the picture what-so-ever, but I opted for the rock where my view would not be hindered. I still have a good recording of their routines, behaviors, and personalities, so I am ok with my decision.  Besides, for the unaware traveller (and all others who venture into the forests here), the ticks of Sweden are numerous and precautions to avoid them must be taken -one out of three is a carrier of Lyme borreliosis and/or tick-born encephalitis (TBE).
Pick the tasty, Swedish blueberry with caution!

   Lessons learned 

I was advised that if a Swede should ever ask me over to their home for dinner, or any other kind of gathering, I should bring something special with me -always! 

  Next week, I'm packing 
a variety plate of sushi to bring to the Fockers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment